1.Home made Glass Cleaner (for windows, mirrors and glass top tables)
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 cup white or cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol (70% concentration)
• 1 to 2 drops of orange essential oil, which gives the solution a lovely smell (optional) I like to use this because it cuts the vinegary smell.
How to use: Combine ingredients and store in a spray bottle. Spray on a paper towel or soft cloth first, then on the glass. Hint: Don’t clean windows on a hot, sunny day because the solution will dry too quickly and leave lots of streaks.
2.Heavy Duty Scrub (good for rust stains on porcelain or for cleaning enamel sinks and tubs)
• Half a lemon
• 1/2 cup borax (a laundry booster; find it in the detergent aisle)
How to use: Dip the lemon into the borax and scrub surface; rinse. (Not safe for marble or granite.)
3. Greaser Cleaner (good for oven hoods and grills, anything greasy)
• 1/2 cup sudsy ammonia(way gentler than liquid form) mixed with enough water to fill a one-gallon container. (Sudsy ammonia, which has detergent in it, helps remove tough grime.)
How to use: Dip sponge or mop in solution and wipe over surface, then rinse area with clear water.
4. All Purpose Cleaner and Deodorizer (great if you have pets, mold or need to clean inside your refrigerator etc..its all-purpose)
• 4 tablespoons baking soda
• 1 quart warm water
How to use: Pour solution on a clean sponge and wipe.
5. Marble (good for natural stone surfaces)
• A drop or two of mild dishwashing liquid (non-citrus-scented) Cascade is a good brand.
• 2 cups warm water
How to use: Mix the detergent and water. Sponge over marble and rinse completely to remove any soap residue. Buff with a soft cloth; do not let the marble air-dry. Caution: Never use vinegar, lemon, or any other acidic cleaner on marble or granite surfaces; it will eat into the stone.
6.Shower Soap Scum Remover
- a 24 oz spray bottle
- 12 ounces of Dawn dishwashing liquid
- 12 ounces of white vinegar
How to use: Heat the vinegar in microwave until hot and pour into squirt bottle. Then add the Dawn soap. Put the lid on and gently shake to mix.
We hope you found some of these tips useful. Eco Clean Madison would like to thank our friends from Maid For You for the awesome shower soap scum recipe. This has been one of our favourites!