- Deep cleaning most surfaces (countertops, sinks, tubs, toilets, floors, appliances, etc.)
- Scrubbing and sanitizing kitchens from top to bottom (including the exterior of cabinets and drawers, exterior of appliances like stoves and refrigerators, countertops, sinks and drains, backsplashes, light switch plate covers, knobs and handles, vacuuming and mopping, cleaning tables and chairs)
- They may also clean inside the appliances and cabinets as well.
- Scrubbing and sanitizing bathrooms from top to bottom (including toilets, tubs, showers, sinks and drain openings and polishing chrome)
- Dusting (including trim work, baseboards, doors, picture frames, light fixtures, etc.)
- Vacuuming upholstery and carpet
- Vacuuming and mopping hard floors
- Interior window cleaning
- General light cleaning of the whole house if you do not need a deep clean - here is a general cleaning checklist.
- Washing and drying dishes
- Washing, folding, ironing clothes
- Changing bed linens, making beds
- Separating and remove kitchen garbage and recycling
- Restocking personal care products, toilet paper, etc.
- Picking up toys and/or clutter and other general organizing
- Running errands for the family
- Preparing meals
- Replacing light bulbs
- Scooping litter boxes
- Walking the dog
- Other light duties around the house as requested
Housekeeper, house cleaner, maid, etc. There are TONS of synonymous words realting to the word "house cleaner" but they really aren't the same thing. House cleaners from a local house cleaning company does not perform the same tasks as a housekeeper. Housekeepers are much more specialized and personal because they do more chores around your home and are there more often whereas a house cleaners' job is to strictly clean and leave.
To clarify the difference between the two a little bit better, we decided to compile a list of tasks each professional does so you have a more clear understanding of what your home may need.
If you already have a house cleaner and don't quite understand what they do and do not do, it may be helpful to compare and contrast the differences between a housekeeper and house cleaner. You may be expecting too much from your house cleaner.
A house cleaner is an individual or a team of cleaners from a local cleaning company that can typically provide general cleanings tasks, deep cleanings if its been awhile since your home has been clean, or preparing your home if you are moving out or moving into a new space. They provide all equipment and supplies. Things that are included in the different services they provide CAN BE:
Typically a house cleaner will come, clean, and leave. You either have them come on a "as needed" basis, one time, weekly cleaning, bi-weekly cleaning, or monthly cleaning.
Things a housekeeper does are very different from a house cleaner. A housekeeper can often visit 1 time a week or several times a week.
A housekeeper usually will:
As you can see there is a major difference between the two, and is extremely important you know what your house cleaners' tasks are. If you need more help around the house with chores, it's best to hire a housekeeper in between cleanings.
House cleaners strictly clean, and are not responsible for tasks that are more appropriate for a housekeeper 🙂