My co-workers clothes are always so clean. And we are blue collar guys. We are getting dirty all the time. Over lunch one day I asked him how does he get his uniform so clean. He told me his wife makes her own laundry detergent. It’s some eco-friendly thing. Okay, I’m a bit lost at this point, but the next day he gave me the recipe. And I’ll be; it works. Check this out:
Laundry Detergent Ingredients…
This homemade laundry soap recipe uses three basic ingredients:
- Borax: A naturally occurring mineral.
- Washing Soda: Also called Soda Ash, this helps remove oils.
- Grated Bar Soap: Like Dr. Bronners or homemade. Here’s a coconut oil laundry soap recipe.
Laundry Soap Ingredients
- bar of grated bar soap (homemade or natural store bought)
- 1 cup of washing soda
- 1 cup of Borax (or additional washing soda)
- 20 drops of lemon or lime essential oils
How to Make Laundry Soap
- Grate the soap using a hand grater or food processor. Grate into fine particles so it dissolves easily.
- Carefully mix with the washing soda and borax (use gloves or a spoon as these can be drying if used directly on skin)
- Add essential oils and stir.
- Store in an airtight glass jar.
- Use 1-2 tablespoons per load.
The story goes on. He brings me the other version of this for Liquid Laundry Soap. So, I’m adding that here. It basically has the same ingredients, so you can choose, or make both.
THE LIQUID LAUNDRY SOAP RECIPE
- Grate one bar of soap with cheese grater or food processor.
- Put grated soap in pan with 2 quarts water and gradually heat, stirring constantly until soap is completely dissolved.
- Put 4.5 gallons of really hot tap water in a 5-gallon bucket (available for free in bakeries at grocery stores, just ask them) and stir in 2 cups of Borax and 2 cups of Washing Soda until completely dissolved.
- Pour soap mixture from pan into 5-gallon bucket. Stir well.
- Cover and leave overnight.
- Shake or stir until smooth and pour into gallon jugs or other containers.
- Use ½ to 1 cup per load.
Hope this helps you out. Enjoy!